The Yarm Branch. The Stockton & Darlington Railway.
Jointly published by the Yarm Branch Study Group of the Friends of the Stockton & Darlington Railway and the Cleveland Industrial Archaeology Society, this 120 page A4 fully illustrated paperback book explores the history of the S&DR’s Yarm Branch.
26 in stock
The Yarm branch was opened on the 17 October 1825 by the S&DR accompanied by the usual fanfare of music by Mr Meynell's band, waggons laden with coal, plentiful food, loud toasts and much flag waving. The branch was served by the New Inn the first purpose built Railway Tavern in the world (now the Cleveland Bay) which was commissioned by Mr Meynell who was also the Chair of the S&DR. It terminated at the S&DR's coal and lime depot. The branch went on to be used until 1872, reaching its peak of activity in the 1850s. While much of the trackbed has been lost, there are some surprising remains fully explored in this book.